Sunday, May 15, 2011

Say

When all is said and done
Then there's nothing left to say


I threw angry words across the room and watched them bounce
Off of the chest I normally lay my head on
And I held on tight to the post of the bed frame
While peace tried to pull me away
From our fight

And you stood there like an oak tree
Laughing at the winter
Loosing all of your leaves
But refusing to react

And we both became the winter
And the room was very cold
But little did we know

That inside you were begging
Me to stop yelling and just hug you
And all I really wanted
Was for you to hold me down

It wasn't until we looked
On accident into the eyes
Of the other lover in the fight
That we both started to cry
And stopped
And collapsed
And instantly bounced back

All is fair in love and war
And there's nothing left to say


I remember when we were walking
Showing off down on P street
And we passed a drunk man stumbling
And falling from his cab
And we both realized
At the same time
That he had pissed his pants
And his friends were laughing
And we were laughing
But I cannot remember

Saying any words
We just met with our eyes
And smiled

You take and take
And there's more and more
Until there's nothing more to say


I remember our worst fights
And the roots we looked to find
Of why
God why
Did we fight this way

And after all the bullets landed
And the smoked cleared away
We sat holding each other
And finally said out loud

"I don't think you can handle
What kind of person I am
And if you don't think you can
I understand.
Just leave now."

And we both laughed at each other
Because we agreed we felt the same
That the other was insane
For thinking
We were ever going anywhere.

I do not lie
I know you're mine
And there's nothing left to say


But mostly I remember
That time I needed you most
When my head was in the pillows
And my feet were cold
And my fever was high
And my eyes were like faucets
And you were scared for me
And I was scared for you
And we didn't quite know
What the hell to do
But we knew exactly
What we both needed
So you took off your shoes
And laid down beside me
And we were silent
And we crushed
The space between us
And let the silence
Do the talking
And it was then and there
That we began the truth
I will always need
You


And you will never know
Nothing more to say
Because there's more than just
Now that is at stake
And there will always be
More than enough
To say

And when we find that there is nothing
Coming to our mouths
Our words are still loud
In there silence.