Sunday, February 19, 2012

Water

I find that I spend a lot of time
Nowadays
Around cold moving water
And tangled dead trees
Limbs going every which way
Ducks shivering
A lot of brown and grey
Like a dream I had has a child
Like I'm going back there
To that big duck mural
Painted on the wall of Everett's
Barber shop
While I would sit in silence as a child and listen
To old redneck men explain the world
To each other
And I would pray they were wrong
Like somehow I am going back there now
And telling that kid
Just by sitting at looking at the water
That they were, in fact
Wrong
And that one day he is going to be okay
But I can't help but be depressed
That this is where I have to go
To meet him
These hibernating places
I wish I could meet him in a place
That doesn't look like it'd be perfect
For a mob murder body drop
I know, though
That crystal clear beaches on
Warm summer days
Isn't where my past lives
Thats the kinda place I'll go
To talk to my future