Sunday, December 2, 2007

Some Fuckin' Choice

And so let me say, without pause today

That this is the way I have been since the day

I came into this world, like a clog in a sink

The last of a body that can’t even think

About children anymore, my mother’s womb

This tired, removed, down-trodden wound

The first slaps of air hit me dead in the face

I feel like I knew then I was headed this way

I remember as a boy sitting down late one night

Realizing how beautiful it felt in Mom’s night-gown

She walked in to see her son in her dress

Taken back in denial, she did her fuckin best

To grab a shirt from my dad made of the same cloth

But a shirt is a shirt and the feeling was lost

We both went to bed that night with a little more age

It was a few years later when I hit the bars of my cage

While you were promised marriage, I was promised AIDS

Smacked my head and looked up to see God starring down

Singing songs with every other boy in my town

But with me he looked sad and he never said a word

So I vowed then and there to live life eternal

I accepted those truths and I sang those songs

I got up on Sunday and made sure to be on time

I wrote poems and stories about church and the lord

And when a nightgown came up I just turned and ignored

But some hair grew on my chest and my voice got real low

And when my balls dropped I tried not to show

The world when and what made my dick grow

I did my best dance around how sick I felt

At the very idea of what’d become of myself

And I never wanted to be the one that fell

From the lord

But I was never asked if that was okay

They saw my limp wrists, and they just shoved me away

But I can still remember those final days with a God even now

Watching his face slowly leave as that angry crowd

Pushed us further away every day

And I never asked for this

I never asked for this

I never wanted this shit

I never wanted this shit

I have loved women deep within my soul

And I’ve loved deep women and I can’t let that go

But I also know

What I can’t do

I am also aware of this glaring truth

No matter how funny this might sound to you

With all the hate I’ve been getting I get through

So you keep this in mind next time you wanna say

Some stupid shit ‘bout how you feel about gays

Some stupid shit ‘bout how you don’t agree

Some stupid shit ‘bout ‘that shit’s on me’

Some stupid shit ‘bout none is free of sin

Some stupid shit like I wanted this

I never wanted this

I don’t want this

But this

Is who I am

This is my face

This is my skin

This is my hair

This is essence

And no matter how you feel about this truth

This shit hurts me far more than it hurts you

I try to defend my brethren

My queers brothers and sisters out there dealin’

But the trouble is we are everywhere

And for us to join up is really unfair

For one group to attempt with ease

For the gays to join up would take world peace

And I aint seen anything looks like that to me

But I’m tired of this shield and my elbow hurts

And I’d rather take dick pills sleeping with girls

Than go on another decade as some topic debate

Who knows? Maybe this is simply the way

I feel because I was raised white

And I don’t know what it’s like in this life

Of living every day with at least some of a fight

Between the life that you lead and the one that’s around you

And I just have to get used to the what’s getting used to

But I must say it’s a whole new kind of hard

With very few struggling elders to call on

Because no one said Dr. King had a choice

No one refused to hear Fitzgerald’s voice

Because she could’ve chose to stop the color of her skin

Because black was her choice and dark was her sin

It was a whole different approach the white man took

Now the white man’s part of us writing this book

On hate in a way that’s invisibly strong

Telling our insides and inseams what they think is wrong

And every group of people gets their chance to deal

With coming to terms with the invisible feelings

Of their sons and daughters and what they can’t hold in

And seems like every fucking group gotta call it a sin

As we throw up our hands and sigh and just leave

Because we don’t have the breathe to explain exactly

Why it hurts before our eyes go moist

And our throats close up can’t make no more noise

I can’t take one more ignorant voice

Talking to me like it’s some fuckin choice