Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Protection

It wasn't a whisper
Because your booming
Protective voice
Can easily soothe my butterfly
Heartbeat
But still could never
Whisper
It wasn't whispered
When you laid down beside me
And told me how much you couldn't
Wait for us to grow old together
You couldn't wait for our two children
So why would I whisper
My response?
YES!
Yes.
I will wake one day
I know
From a night of pillow talk
Just like tonight's
To the sound of our boy
Rummaging and exploring
And go to him
With you
And laugh with him
With you
At what he's gotten into
And the combination
Of the love we lacked as little boys
Ourselves
Will overwhelm
His tiny little heart
And our little girl will join us
Protected in strength
By you
And in her bold female identity
By me
She will realize with each tomboy
And girlie girl
Playtime
That she is incredible
As herself
And deserves love
Just because
We will do our best
To whisper in their ears
Each night
Just why it is
They are the center of our world
The world we created together
That night
That you spoke softly in my ear
Of forever