Friday, November 18, 2016

And I'm Breathing

A Mississippi River boat

Floats by a town you could easily forget

Down a body of water without much to say

For the past 80 years or so

Not since Huck Finn

And the earthquake that made it run backwards

And somewhere in that town I tried my best

To fit the entire worlds worth of dreams into

A brain no bigger than the little boy head

Inside my cowboy hat

As a child

And I watched those river boats hoping

I'd make it to the same ocean that they ran into

one day

And I did

And I've been to the coasts of the Atlantic

And waded in the shallow waters

Of what the busy ocean had to say to me

About taking you down if you step out of line

And I conquered what came my way

I survived those waves

Long enough to try my hand 

Across the way 

With a great leap 

The other direction 

To the Pacific

This time

And here I've landed

Like a bird that overestimated

Himself and his wingspan

And I gasp

And try to relax in the waters 

That are bluer than I've seen

And that promise they're serene

And I look up 

Covered in sand

To see your eyes staring back at me

Blinking and intrigued

But blinking slowly

And staring at me so gently

That I feel my breaths slow 

And I sink

Into the warm that is beneath me

And I feel the sudden jolt

Of nothing but peace

Because your eyes are all the water

That I am in 

When I look at you 

And I'm not just immersed

I'm surrounded

In them 

Slowly

And gently 

And I'm breathing

In their water

I'm understanding 

What the pacific waters 

Have to say to me

About serenity 

Coming my way

In your waves 

That are gentle

And staring 

Into me